Saturday, August 17, 2013

RE: Demystifying A Name Change

2013-Aug-17-2017Hrs
On Day-1 of the recently staged Mausica alumni 50th. anniversary re-union, the I.D tag that was issued to me, identified me as 'Kelvin Francois' instead of the more familiar 'Esmond Francois'. This immediately gave rise to some questions, if not confusion. At the occasion, time and circumstances did not allow me the opportunity to explain and/or clarify the apparent name change. This, I will attempt to do now.
Throughout the entire phase of my Trinidad residency, through primary and secondary schooling, and proceeding to Teachers' Training College and residency, I was known and called 'Esmond Francois', with no other sobriquet. But in 1969, four years after graduating from Mausica T.T, a name change was initiated.
It was during the process of submitting my application to obtain Canada Landed Immigrant status, ultimately leading to citizenship.
Everything had to be supportd by official documents, and it was the first time that I actually acquired and saw my original birth certificate which showed that my real first name was 'Kelvin' whereas 'Esmond' was my middle name.
Henceforth,since my emigration to Canada, and for the 44 years that I have thus far lived up here, all of my social and business interactions and associations, have been under my actual and official first name--'Kelvin'. ( Now you know).
Family , close friends, relatives and my Mausica brethren still comfortably and dearingly call me 'Esmond' or the shortened--'Es.'
Which do I prefer? It does not really matter, so long as any salutation is done with civility and respect.
Sincerely,
Kelvin, Esmond Francois (aka, Es.) 65

No comments: