Thursday, August 29, 2013

RE: Commemorative March on Washington

2013-Aug-29-1934Hrs
As I prepared to walk in Martin Luther King's footsteps to commemorate the march on Washington  which occurred 50 years ago, I remembered my struggles almost  50 years ago when I left Mausica and started teaching.  The staff I joined was lackluster in their welcome, because I was one of "those young upstarts from Mausica". One teacher said, " Mausicans have all these new teaching methods and fancy ideas". That was one criticism.  The tension got worse when after the first month salaries were increased and "the young upstarts" were earning the same as experienced teachers.  Fortunately, Mennen Walker was also assigned to the same school and together we stuck to the principles of excellence and commitment that we learnt at Mausica.  That was the start of a friendship that has lasted almost 50 years. Our most recent reunion was also the celebration of a milestone, as we celebrated something that was never done before in Trinidad and Tobago - co-ed residential teacher education.   As I silently thanked Dr. King, I also gave thanks to Mausica for setting the foundation for the person that I am.
Brenda Sent from my iPad "And this too will pass"
Brenda Alexander-Perez 65

No comments: