Friday, September 07, 2012

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS


2012-Sep-07-0722Hrs
Thanks, Errol, for once again, making the Mausica weekly emails, the highlight of my week. I enjoyed reading Linda Romain's piece last week. I recall being in Woodford Square for the momentous occasion. I have benefitted tremendously from Dr.Williams' legacy. Without the advent of the Common Entrance Exam, my parents would have been hard-pressed to send me to secondary school, as they were already paying for two elder siblings at private secondary schools. After leaving Holy Name Convent, I was privileged to attend Mausica Teachers' College, then UWI at St. Augustine and Cave Hill, the Hugh Wooding Law School and Cipriani College of Labour and Co-operative Studies. It is only when we interact with persons from other jurisdictions that we realize what great educational opportunities were and are still open to us here in Trinidad.  I regretted not being able to join in the 50th Anniversary Independence celebrations at home. I also missed the celebrations here in Nassau. From shortly before midnight, I was on various planes en route from from Hong Kong to Nassau. I had accepted the kind invitation of the Chief Justice of Hong Kong to the International Family Justice Judicial Conference and thought that I should take advantage of the opportunity to continue to acquire the necessary expertise to be on the cutting-edge of family law issues, especially as I am returning home to continue my work in that area. The hosts rolled out the red carpet for us, delegates. Why can't we treat our own as foreigners treat us? From the time I arrirved, I was whisked away in a limousine to the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Shatin, Hong Kong, and the courtesies continued until I left Hong Kong.
I am so pleased that Mr.Williams got his award this side of heaven. Let us continue to appreciate, love and cherish those exemplars that we still have with us and not join in the denigration of those who are still alive and those who have served and have gone on to their eternal reward.
May God Bless us all and may God Bless our beloved nation of Trinidad and Tobago.
I continue to pray for my friend from Mausica Alumni choir, Bertie Fraser.
Hazel Thompson-Ahye

No comments: