Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Re: MAUSICA ALLUMNI AWARD OF MERIT
2007-Aug-07-2307hrs
Good to hear from you Sister Hazel and it was so great to see you. I am glad you did not report that I hold the camera back to front when you asked me to take a picture of you. I hope you have checked to see how I came out! On our bus we learned about left-hand dumpling, which, it appears, is a potent Tobago remedy for those who like to roam. One of the outcomes of this trip, is that I saw myself more clearly, and only today I indicated to my chair that we should begin retirement discussions. I intend to go back home where I belong. I hope I can find a way to live in Tobago. So many things were uplifting for me. Allisford and Claudette. Lester and Korenza. Fantastic models. Mausica love can endure. It is the greatest love. I strived for it once, and seeing these great couples reassured me that mine was a noble quest even in failure. The Mausica spouses (spice?) are an important aspect of the group. I chatted with Wilton Jackson, who was an idol of all teen boys in Marabella when I was growing up, due to his sprinting prowess at Southern Games, a national champion for years, and such a gentleman and role model. I knew Winston Mellowes when he was head of chemical engineering at UWI, and was happy to see him in his role of Mausica spouse. I was in awe of the pioneers, who ran the important first leg for us in 63. Where do they find the energy, and the grace? Joy untold in meeting again Barbara, Lynette, Eutrice, Cutty, Alisford, Annette, Maxine, Cynthia, Carol Ann, Shirley, members of the 1967/69 year group. How does one explain the excitement of just seeing these faces, and throwing one's mind back 40 years, to an age of innocence, when we were all lining up for meals, wandering the halls, and trying to transition into adulthood. There was character and wisdom in the faces all. Then the Havenites, Rodney, Bobb, Hospedales et al. Maria, Felix and the committee did a great job. Errol and Conrad continue to keep the string drawn tight through the years. I ended the whole thing by visiting Fitzy. On leaving he held my hand in a grip to assure me of his great strength still. I left more impressed by the clarity of his mind.
Scratchy.
Theodore Lewis

No comments: