Friday, September 13, 2013

RE: Phillip Kendall

2013-Sep-13-0047Hrs
The death of Phillip Kendall is very very hard to take. This man had more life in him than most people I know. He was a natural athlete, a specimen, chiseled by god. He was one of the bright lights in the haven when I got there in 1967. A very pleasant personality. I played with him on the 67-68 football team, along with Geezmo (Kent Rennie), Efebo (in goal), Joe Ragoonansingh, Darnley Gittens, Gerry Hernandez, Frederick Beckles Deceased), Carlsbury Gonzales, Gregory Byrnes, Roy Jagroopsingh (deceased), Dave Didier, Nazir Khan, Ho Sing Loy.
Phil was graceful on the football field...delightful to watch.
I will never forget the quartermile on sports-day 1967-68 when he and Geezmo dueled to the tape, he coming out the victor.
Why is death so cruel?
In inter-training college sports I was on the track team with him when we ran the other colleges into oblivion.
In the weekly blog of Friday, 28 August, 2009, we see a beautiful picture of the track team, with Phil standing next to Geezmo. Errol I wonder if you could re-post  the pictures of that day? He is next to last in the top picture, and fourth in the one in which the runners are kneeling.
Cliff Bertrand may have published it and I wonder if he could do that again.
Phil, I will miss watching you play ping pong, watching you play football, and watching you run. There was never born a more graceful athlete, and a more effervescent soul.
This man was one of the Haven originals, quiet, thoughtful, energetic.
Gone too soon.
Scratchy
Theodore Lewis 69

No comments: