Wednesday, January 13, 2010

RE: In Memoriam

2010-JAN-13-0514Hrs
We celebrate his full life while we mourn the loss to family, country, and the educational community!
Yes, how many of us choir and non choir members remember the mother figure (famed soprano soloist of Mausica, Bernice) holding her belly and belting out "Sammy Sammy dead, Sammy dead OH! And heard the deep resounding response: When ah me body lay down in the grave den ah me soul goin' shout for joy!
These words have new meanings for us now that many of the members of the community are like Sammy passing on! Roland Maundy is yet another of them. He is one of the many great icons in Education in Trinidad and Tobago whose vision and mission allowed "Maundy's Boys" and maybe Girls to go on to achieve intellectual greatness and to become the next generation of educational scholars with visions for a "better" "greater" Trinidad and Tobago and world.
The theme song so many of us heard on the Redifussion "If I can help somebody as I pass along, then my living will not be in vain" might have been his own too. Maundy did indeed without the paparatzi or television cameras or loud clanging of bells help so many along the way. He quietly in true Maundy style leaves behind a legacy of outstanding and excellent service with humility, pride and lots of unconditional commitment to family and country. My final memories of him sitting at mass in Arouca Catholic church a few pews away from me on Sundays and saying to me at the end of the service "how you going sweetheart" remain with me as I say Farewell soldier and thanks for a job well done and a legacy that we will do well to emulate as we continue on this journey of life and join with your family, Boys now Men, and country who know that your soul goin' shout for joy!
Janice (68-70)
Janice Fournillier, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
Georgia State University

No comments: