Friday, March 09, 2007

RE: Mausica History
2007-Mar-09-1517hrs
Herbert Garvin's 'Mausica Teacher's College, 1973 onwards' brings to me a heightened memory of the travails of the Mausican student body of that era. In particular, it reminded me of the very thin line that one was forced to tread in carrying out one's duties in the best interest of all, to the best of your ability. I, fortunately or unfortunately, was assigned (by the Principal) the responsibility of Staff Financial Advisor to the Student Body in their ques t for resolution of their dire financial situation - A quest which took them to very visible and continuous daily protests and demonstrations on and off Campus, attracting national attention. Perhaps I took my assignment too seriously. After a number of briefings to the Student Representatives which I felt would give them a strategic approach and enough ammunition to succeed in their quest, I felt my job was done. My intention was to maintain a very low profile, in the background, as I usually do. However my letter/ proposal to the Ministry of Education (signed by the Students) brought the Ministry to the Table and they brought out the heavy rollers which included the Central Government's Industrial Relations Negotiating Team including, as I remember, The legendary Chief Personnel Officer (Hilton Cupid), The Advisor to the C P O, (of many years , (name escapes me now)), and representatives of the Ministry of Labour, the Ministry of Education and the Prime Minister's Office. The Student Council became quite concerned about their ability to face this juggernaut placed before them and insisted that I should lead their delegation. I cannot recall now, with certainty, the student representatives involved, apart from its President, Dale Scobie, (please forgive me) but they were totally supportive. After all their efforts, demonstrations etc. their time had come. I accepted quite reluctantly and only after being urged on by our Principal. I didn't think it was my role. Nevertheless we faced the Big Team in their hallowed halls. Once the starter's pistol was off, I became a student representative once more and we went about our business as forcefully as we could. We held one meeting which laste d for about twelve (12) hours and went well into the night. A decision was deferred for a later date. I felt we had won. They were unable to rebut our case which was based simply on inflation, the cost of surviving as a student teacher and more technically a mathematical/statistical/graphical projection of the value of money over the years that Mausica had been in operation, its spending power and how that had affected the student population. At the end of the meeting I was quite exhausted, but believe me, I did not sleep that night. I worried whether I had done enough, whether I had gone too far, whether there would be some unwelcome fallout, ultimately whether I might have failed the students.... When the bell rang, to my relief, we were successful. Students' pay was increased by more than 100 percent. However, as Herber t noted that was not the end of the story.
Ronnie
Student and Lecturer MTC

No comments: