Saturday, March 24, 2007

Re: Dudlet Dickson
2007-Mar-24-0217hrs
Hello Errol,
Please forward to the blog for me. It's 2:16 am. I have to attend a funeral in a few hours.
Talk to you soon.
Rodney
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUDLEY DICKSON
The Mausican Pioneers, 1963, and the faculty led by Harry Joseph, Fitz-James Williams, Daphne Pilgrim Cuffie and a dedicated staff built the foundation that defined the character and spirit of a true Mausican. All other Mausicans are forever indebted to them for their significant contributions: dedication to scholarship, enthusiasm for life, service to the community, brotherly and sisterly love, the renowned Mausica Teachers Choir, taking initiatives, striving for excellence in all endeavors and, last but not least, the Mausican version of CHESS.
My brother, Dudley Dickson, possessed all the fine qualities of a hundred per cent Mausican. He was a Mausican tuh de bone.
I first met Dudley through the choir when he would return to campus to lend his support to his beloved choir. It was then too that he may have spotted his wife to be, Myrtle Collins, from my year group, 66-68. Ah not sure. I’ll have tuh check with Myrtle. De Joe must be say, “Let de damn ting grow.” What a beautiful couple they became. Someone also informed me that he was the other half of the characters in Trevor Davis’ calypso, a Mausica classic, “Tall Ting”. I loved his personality and embraced him like a big brother. I’ll never forget his voice. It was unique, filled with the love, caring and compassion of a true friend.
After our contacts in TNT, I was delighted to reconnect with him and some other Mausicans in Brooklyn, NY, a few years ago. It was like meeting long lost family. They were doing what good Mausicans do; having a good time while providing a valuable service to their community.
At present, I am in Orlando, Florida, to attend a funeral and as I sat down to write this tribute, I was led to open a Daily Bread booklet that was lying next to my laptop. My hostess had placed it there. My fingers opened the book to Friday, April 13th. The text for the day speaks of “Celebrating Disappointment”. What a contradiction, I thought. However, I continued reading and discovered its relevance to the feelings we are experiencing at this time.
The writer, Dennis Fisher, quotes from Psalm 30:11, “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing.” The writer reminds us that “when the psalmist counted his blessings, he was lifted out of his despair and praised God, saying, “You have turned for me my mourning into dancing.”
That last word reminded me of one of Dudley’s greatest loves, dancing. He was a very good dancer. He was one of the Danceros from his year group. Dancing and singing are indelible trademarks of most Mausicans. Some Mausicans have two left feet and others cyar carry ah note in ah bucket. Call names. Ah might whistle.
When I shared my discovery with my hostess, Diane, she summed it up beautifully. She said that Dudley had been invited to the “Ultimate Fete” to dance and sing for the Lord. It’s an all –inclusive event only for those chosen by the Master. I can picture Dudley suggesting to St Peter that they form a folk song choir like “de one Mausica had.” Then St Peter replying, “Yuh late. Relax yuhself. Look Trevor, Dum Dum, Beck, Jean and Yvonne over dey awready.”
Fellow Mausicans, as we say our farewells, let us be reminded that”In all circumstances give thanks.” In the text cited above, another writer, D De Haan said, “Thank God in your disappointment, Celebrate His grace and love; Know that he will never leave you And will bless you from above.”
Dudley, it was a pleasure meeting you. All those whose lives you touched will be forever grateful for your love and friendship. May your wife, Myrtle, son Asanti, family and friends find peace and comfort in the arms of the Master who called you home. May you rest in peace and rise in glory.
Sincerely,
Rodney Foster.

No comments: