Friday, January 04, 2013

re: Machel, Mausica and "unknown" Dr. Lewis.


2013-Jan-04-1519Hrs
If Mausica is really a family, then Machel Montano is our child, a child of the village. I did not read the comment of the person who called Professor Theodore Lewis an "unknown," an insult really, but regardless of the long documentation this comment generated, we must return to the original premise. Machel is the product of two Mausicans. He, as Lewis said, is ours.
Regardless of whether you support Scratchie's position, as Anna Maria did not, you have to agree that he is entitled to his position, and the space allowed in the newsletter that allows him to make his case.
Children who have fame and fortune thrust upon them, are ofte troubled, the force of the limelight and fame, does not allow them to grow normally. Machel should be compared then, to American child-stars, who never experienced the give and take of the school-yard, bullies ad all, and who therefore miss out on a certain level of human interaction.
I want to address also, to all Mausicans, the "it good for he" syndrome; which seems to dictate a breathless waiting for the successful to collapse to the ground, amidst the jeers of former admirers, jealous and bitter, and who expect so much more of people who are merely human.. Our doppelganger, our evil twin our Jekyl and Hyde other selves, are always waiting. It may have been this other, ungenerous self on the part of the one questioning Scratchie, who spoke. And the conversation goes on to those who question the extensive coverage. Did we ever question such coverage before, and if not, why now?
I think of Dr. Wayne Kublalsingh, emaciating himself for what he believed was a good cause; and a former Mausican, whom I despise, now risen to high office says to him, via the media "Hurry up an dead."
It prompts me to raise to the reading group the question of whether enough was done by the faculty to instill moral instruction, good vs evil, in our future teachers. I think of the young man who attempted to rape a fellow student one night after itroductory social, but other girls came to the dorm just in time. I think of how the young men in his dorm sliced him up with tiny razor cuts, until he had to go to the Arima District Hospital for treatment, and the call from my sister, the recieving nurse, to inquire what had really happened, because the story of bis falling through a pane of glass could not explain the cuts on his back and abdomen. I think of my raising the question with Harry Joe, and his comment that "the young men in his dorm fixed him up, and it is better that having the girl's father turn up on campus with a cutlass."
I think of the heated debate we has as lecturers when it was time to vote on licencing this young man as a teacher. All the men voted for him,. All the women saw visions of him trying to rape some overdeveloped country schoolgirl., and voted gainst him. There were more men on the staff.
I think about this, and whether we should include it in a history of Musica, and the noisy No! of you all, and I write it here to say, that Scratcie has some moral sense that others are not willing to speak on. It takes a village... and if Mausica was/is a vilage. Machel is our child. Jack Warner is our product.
CONSIDER THIS A LECTURE LONG OVERDUE, for both the classes that I taught, and the extended family. I will light a peace candle, as I send this. I do not know who the young men were who cut him up, so please do not tell me now.
Finis.
Linda Edwards

No comments: