Sunday, December 15, 2013

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS 2013-Dec-13

2013-DEC-15-1120Hrs
Dear Errol,
As usual, I enjoyed reading this week's blog. Reading colleagues' reminiscing about Mausica does  force you to cast your mind back and review the Mausica experience. At the risk of arousing the ire of some, the indignation of others and even stronger negative feelings of yet others, I make bold to say that,in retrospect, I do believe that while some aspects of our initiation made for an enjoyable experience,like the concert with the bowing and unbowing, other things may be categorised as bullying. We sought to justify some of our practices by saying it was to help people to bond together quickly, it made some proud people humble ( humiliated?)etc,etc , but was that really so? Some proud souls continued to be so,at least one person packed up and left the institution.Initiation brought out the best in some, but it also brought out the worst in others. I understand the guys had it pretty rough and one wonders if some do not remember their experience with bitterness. My controversial, calypso," Mamas without Papas," was my response to second year bullying.I did regret singing it, as many people who were not targeted, were hurt as a result, but I did feel helpless and retreated into the art form,putting on the armour of culture and using wit and humour as weapons to fight a war,
As an older person.according to the UN definition, I have frequently revisited my performance as a teacher in the early unenlightened days and I regret ever having hit a child. I am now the  Coordinator of the Caribbean Coalition for the Abolition of Corporal Punishment of Children and am now fully versed in the negative aspects of corporal punishment. I am now fully aware of how teachers can contribute to the structural violence and personal violence and violations visited upon,in particular,the disadvantaged children in the society by how they treat children in the classroom.We need to do better.
My brother in law just came in with another gentleman whom he introduced as his first cousin. When I held out my hand to greet the gentleman he showed nosign of recognition. I told him I would not be shaking his hand and then he realized that he was from my year group in Mausica. We had a hearty laugh .He was Maximin Thomas.Apparently, he has been living in New York over 30 years. I told him about the reunions and he expressed a desire to meet his roommate Gerald from Grenada. I also met Errol Jones in Queen's Hall on Friday night and tried to encourage him to attend the next reunion. I explained that just as noone has to invite you to your own home, he does not have to be invited but just come when you hear of the events
I have yet to fulfil my promise to myself to visit Cuffie and Fitzie.
Have a great week all. Now , don't be upset with me. I know the truth offends and manytimes we did not know better.
Hazel Thompson-Ahye 70

No comments: