Saturday, December 28, 2013

Re: June Joseph

2013-DEC-28-1821Hrs
I agree totally with Ansel. How could we ever forget June Joseph! I was so impressed with her teaching that I had wanted to switch my Elective from English to Music but Sandra Pouchet would have none of it. But Music is still my first love as evidenced by my e-mail address. I am yet to hear again the version of 'Silver Bells' which Ms. Joseph taught us. Neither can I forget her 'Clang, clang, clang on the anvil, in the smithy by the dark North Sea.' I could never have understood how she came to the conclusion that everyone can sing! I am still trying to grapple with it. One of her favourite phrases as she taught us to sing was 'deep diaphragmatic breathing.' It was a phrase we took outside the bounds of the campus. As we passed the Beetham on one of our excursions, and tried to hold our breath from the stench, some smart aleck would shout in typical June Joseph fashion 'deep diaphragmatic breathing.'
When the male students jokingly made advances to her she would just lean on the piano, with not a word, but she would just look them straight in the eye and smile. She was a 'no nonsense' person but pleasant and approachable all the same. Ever so often I would give her a call either to get advice on some aspect of music or simply to chat. After all those years, she still has that same rich deep voice.
Continued prosperity in 2014, Ms. Joseph!
Pearl Yvonne Mulrain 69

No comments: