Friday, April 27, 2012

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS


2012-Apr-27-1031Hrs
Rodney,
With all due respects to Keith, I also played for Malvern after an abbreviated stint at Howard University in 1974. Indeed it was Keith who recommended me to Lincoln since 1971. However I got married in December of 1969 and I was not about to leave my firstborn and wife behind to chase a soccer ball in Washington. So, as attractive an offer as it may have been, I had to pass. When Howard U. visited Trinidad in '74 (I think), Keith contacted me again and told me that Lincoln was still interested in taking a look at my game, towards possible recruitment. I played the first game for Howard U. at Skinner park. My skill set was still intact. So.....Lincoln recruited me immediately and promised to send the necessary paperwork for Immigration purposes, upon his return to Washington. He did fulfill his promise. I was in Washington that September.
Because Lincoln was not able to secure a full scholarship for me at that time, I was, and still am eternally grateful to Keith for taking me in to live with his wife and himself for a short while, since I did not have housing.
However, the arrangement was akward and unsettling for me. I was constantly homesick and spent many sleepless nights concerned about the well being of my wife and my son. After one year with the team, I returned to N.Y. and then to Trinidad and resumed my teaching career; thanks in large part to Mr.P.G. Wilson, a close friend of my father and the family as a whole.
P.S. Since I must leave room for others to post; I will give you the stats on Efebo and Bellamy when next I post.
My basic contention is that I played more, and represented Mausica in more sports, than my peers. That should count for something.  Wait until you hear about me taking Neville Phipps to deuce-point in a tournament against GTC in the auditorium. That night I got a big hug and kiss (that's all) from one of the all-time finest students the campus ever produced.( kyah call names...she is a married woman now.)
Philip Kendall

No comments: