Saturday, April 07, 2012

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS

2012-Apr-06-1512Hrs
"All Ah We Ah Wan Famaly"
In his iconic calypso "Family", calypsonian Lord Nelson highlights the strong connection that is shared among Tobagonians even when they don't know each other. In fact, because of the small size of the island, and other reasons too controversial to mention here, it is quite possibly that the family connections in Tobago are stronger than the calypso indicates. My Mausica family connections rival my Tobago family connections.
I feel the same strong connection to my Mausica family. When Selwyn grieves for his mother, I also grieve. When the Hemlees mourn the loss of a loved one, I feel there pain. I also rejoice and share the joy of Hazel Thompson-Ahye and Myrtle Spencer. Forty years later, the strength of my Mausica family is still strong.
Maybe there was something in the water? Or, was it the sugarcane we had for midnight snack? Pineapples? Oranges? Persaud’s chicken? Maybe the cheap” cask wine” we bought in Arima for those impromptu parties?
Whatever it was, it worked and we shall be family forever.
“All Ah We Ah Wan Famaly”
Carlston Gray

No comments: