Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Re: calabash again !
2008-Jul-22-0720hrs
Errol
I thought I should explain the pictures. ( titles are misleading but go with my flow)
Some of my results from the recent Calabash workshop conducted bt Noel Duncan of tobago, now resident in Switzerland.011 is the turtle he convinced me I could carve when all I can raw is perhaps water from a well! he tidied it up with the decoration around the rim.
025 is a carved calabash which was later cut to make two bowls
015 I call symbols as the Prickly pear ( alliouagana... the Amerindian name for Montserrat, the Irish Shamrock and a West African symbol for hope represent our historical time line.
001 Not a calabash but a picture from our back yard... the bulge is a breadfruit about to emerge!
018 Again not calabash... a picture of Mr and Mrs Norman Ryan taken last Sunday when we attended the wedding of my former student Lisa who is Norman's cousin, She and our son Graham were in class together at the Montserrat Secondary school.
009 a sample of my work done as a result of the workshop,,, diamonds in the rough is how I like to think of them!The large calabash bears my impression of an Amerindian fertility symbol... it should also be depicted upside down but I did not want to push my luck!
Pat Ryan

No comments: