Monday, December 12, 2016

RE: The passing of Ruthven Perryman

2016-DEC-09-1714Hrs
I received a call at about 7.00am on the morning of Ruthven Perryman's passing. Having been abroad I did not know of his recent hospitalization. However, this is my simple tribute to a friend who was almost family to me.
I met Ruthven at Tunapuna EC school,so that primary schoolmates we were. He transferred out of EC, but we met in POS in the hustle for transport home. He attended St. Mary's and I was a Bishop Anstey. The interaction did not end there since Tunapuna was a lively place and the teenage parties were aplenty. At Mausica he was Second Year to me and later on we were George Street neighbours: he was at Eastern Boys Govt and I at South East POS Govt Secondary. When SEPOS needed support,  Ruthven was at Eastern for us. As a matter of fact, my venture into Eastern Boys was on account of Ruthven's presence there.
What makes a friendship surpass all of fifty years?  Some people you meet become only acquaintances.  Not so with Ruthven. I've met few people who could turn your bad day around;  who could make you laugh again; who could convince you that every cloud does have a silver lining;  whose smile you could see from a mile away.
Who could you meet when you migrate from the North Stand to the  Grand Stand for Panorama?  Who would greet you with outstretched arms to take a little wine in the staid Grand stand?  Morever, Ruthven never lost his Tunapuna AC roots.  His best friends number among his Primary school mates, brothers in a word.
In recent years I worked as a CAC monitor and Ruthven and I met frequently on the grounds of St. Xavier's where he sat awaiting Susan.  We talked of grand children and our new focus. " Angela We have to do it."  We met often at the grocery, Curepe or Tunapuna and I even suggested that I give him my grocery list since he seemed to have found new employment.
I offer my condolences to  his Mom, the Perryman and Carnavon families.  I know the kind of family man Ruthven was. I know of his input to nieces and nephews.
This was a man who understood life and lived it to the fullest, always ensuring the comfort and happiness of his fellowman. Rest in peace my brother.
Angela Weatherhead Michael-Jarvis 73

No comments: