Thursday, May 14, 2009

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS
2009-MAY-14-1304Hrs
I sit here in Houston, Texas, grateful for the fact that the idea of Books for Grenada is taking off. How I wish I could have been there for the cultural evening, so that I could read my Obama Poem, Child Of A Tropical Mating, based on his biography. It has been made into a poster which I am selling, and I would have liked to donate such a poster to the Grenada public library, but my friend Merle Howe is not coming this year.
Remember,please,in your taking books, that "suitable for children" is a term that adults design. I was raiding my father's stack of books he got from working on the American Base at Waller Field when I was nine and ten, and so I read most of Frank Yerby's work, without knowing he was an African American, before I was an adolescent.Really bright children have no patience with Children's books. Most of them talk down to children. My twelve year old great nephew, Marco, was reading Harry Potter as school work. This was four years ago.
Children's versions of the classics, including Greek Mythology would be good. I would put the novels of John Hearne into the hands of a twelve year old.
A child skips over what he or she does not understand, and returns to it later with an "aha" which is good.
When I started sending books to Trinidad some years ago, Dr. Harold Robertson was the Consul General in Miami. I did not know that at the time, but later when we met he reminded me that I did not let him take Optional Histoty, because he already had his A level in it.
He is now Consul General in New Youk.You never know where a Mausican may end up.Perhaps a former student from Grenada is in a consulate somewhere, and can aid with ths. Do not hesitate to beg. I beg for good causes. I am not a good cause, that is why I cannot get there. A cruise to Italy and two deaths in the family ate up my discretionary budget.
I will see if anyone from The Grenada Assocation in Houston,is going home in July, or soon after.
Remember, teachers need to read too, so if you have a book that teachers can use, sample texts, perhaps;take one of those too.If it weighs too much, carry it in your hand as if it's your reading material.There is no limit on how hevy a book a teacher can red while travelling.
Love you all.
Linda Edwards(Romain)

No comments: