Friday, February 20, 2009

RE: marbling... testing, testing
2009-Feb-18-1240Hrs
The photos are of two views of the same marbled calabash. I now have my eyes firmly set on Grenada and each day strengthens the possibilities, Global downturn notwithstanding. Love you all. pat
This is my first try at the marbling technique introduced at Mausica Teachers' College by the late Isaiah Boodhoo, to those of us who were in his basic art group.
In an effort to do something different with the calabash, I first bleach- whitened a dry and blackened specimen. I then used a skewer to pick and poke at the dried out remains within the calabash... a tedious task, as everything had to exit via the 1cm hole left by the stem... not a wasted effort.
With hindsight, I should have used less than four colours of paint... I'll use three next time and see what results. Of the colleagues I contacted ( Pioneer group) only Brenda Alexander could corroborate my version of what happened in that Art class so many years ago. Another of my mistakes was not giving the paints enough time to float back to the surface. I am already looking forward to the second attempt. I realised later on that those who were doing Optional Art did not have the need to be "entertained" as much as we did! I had so much fun in that class!
Pat Ryan

No comments: