Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS 2019-DEC-06

2019-DEC-07-0418Hrs
Greetings to my Haven brother and second year Rodney Foster, red Guard man. It is good to hear about Carlsbury from you Rodney, to know that you both have maintained that roommate bond for over half a century now. I glad you liked that Ancil Wyatt track I sent you.
I still think that our stance of not allowing Centeno men into our fetes was the correct one, and also the ban we had on UWI men. It was not an unreasonable stance since it was not our fault that Centeno had only one girl. We had to defend our territory. Langston Roach and some of the other UWI men learned that we would let in a few of them, on a case by case basis, depending on our assessment of their motives and desires. But we were not intimidated by UWI men.
Yes my roommate Sto christened me. Just this week he came to see me bringing some wild meat that he had negotiated for me. Recently his daughter, grand-daughter and husband visited, on vacation from England, where she practices medicine. A visit to Uncle Scratchie is always part of the agenda when they come down. This time around there was still a few mangoes on one of my trees, so the grand daughter was able to experience the great Caribbean joy of picking up a long mango from under a tree, in Uncle Scrathie's backyard. That grand daughter has visited since a toddler, and of course as with her mom, I too am beloved uncle Scratchie, second generation. She and her daddy sang the Leeds United football club song, with great animation,  for the pleasure of Uncle Scratchie.
The Mausica spirit is indestructible. It burns bright, across the generations. I live in Arima and pass the junction everyday. The sign saying Mausica Road, stands as an eternal flame.  It is so much more that a road sign for me.
Theodore Lewis (Lord Scratchie, calypso king, 1969; Victor Ludorum, same year. Fair Haven man)
Theodore Lewis 69

No comments: