Friday, November 25, 2016

RE: Reunion 2017

2016-NOV-19-0157Hrs
My Fellow Mausicans,
First, Marjorie and I wish to extend our condolences to the bereaved families. We will remember you in our prayers.
Take it one day , one moment at a time. Time will heal your sadness and replace it with a joy that surpasseth all understanding.
Fifty-nine years ago my parents and I stood on Sixth Avenue and Tenth Street in Barataria. My father, a taxi driver,  had met my mother and me there with the intent of enrolling me in St. George's College. That year the newly elected PNM Gov't had given 250 scholarships.  I had placed 252. in the College Exhibition Exam. At that time the college accepted students whose parents could afford the fee. My father, bless his soul, felt he could not pay the tuition. He drove off and I returned to my elementary school, Barataria EC. The next year, my grandmother enrolled me in Osmond High School, on Fifth Street, San Juan. .
Private secondary schools, like Osmond, Progressive, Ideal, Providence and Southern Polytechnic no longer exist. The late Arthur Murray and J Hamilton Holder should receive posthumous awards for their significant contributions. Earlier this year, a voice prompted me to call Mr. James Sammy, Principal of St George's College,  and request that I become the first, honorary graduate of St George's College. On Thursday November, 10th, 2016, my dream was fulfilled. The Achievement Day celebration was held in the Parish Hall of St Mary's Anglican Church in Tacarigua. My mother's grave is in the church yard . Her spirit was there with me, as I delivered my acceptance speech.
Our God is awesome!
On Monday, Nov. 14th a few of my Mausican brothers stopped by "tuh bus ah lime". Carl Caton, Clive Grell, Clive Ballantine. alias Poole, Selwyn Thompson, alias Sweetface, and Efebo Wilkinson were most present. Meh pardnah, John De Coteau from GTC  cook ah bad pelau. It was like de feedin of de 5,000. Marj and I bring back some to de States. We eat de last set on Thursday. We took ah drink in memory of our departed brother, Keith Aqui.
De lime was reminiscent of the good times in any of de men's hostel in MTC. Talk bout laughter and singing.
Carl Caton could sing any of de calypso from dat era. Wat Efebo can't remember, Carl know verse and chorus. De fella bad fuh days. De consensus is dat we should have a Karioke night wit only Mausica kaiso at de 2017 Reunion.
By de way, Efebo boast dat his wife, Lucille, does make de best fruit cake in de universe. Right now ah pinching away at ah black cake dat Mary make. Clive, yuh wife is #1, right now. So Efebo, Lucille have tuh come real good. My mother was my Numero Uno., My sister, Doreen, inherit the gift. Some of de girls from Villa Nova should remember getting ah piece of de black cake my mother made for my 21st birthday.
So long for now My Fellow Mausicans. TNT still sweet.
As usual,
Rodney Foster 66-68.

No comments: