Friday, February 07, 2014

RE: Gabriel Cumbermack's comments.

2014-FEB-06-2204Hrs
I did not agree with Gabriel's comments. He is saying that an educator should "embrace the literary opportunity to have students analyze lyrics, discuss the messages therein" when a song is controversial. He is far off the mark here.
I have posted stanzas from Red Light District. And here are some excerpts which the educator can use to  stimulate literary competence in her students--according to Gabriel. I attach some imagined dialogue:
Excerpt 1. "Somebody give me a riddim to activate the waistline on the feminine gender now please"
Miss: "Children what do you think the composer is saying here?"
Little Johnny: "But miss, I ent see no subtlety there??
Excerpt 2. "Rotate dem spine"
Miss. "Children what is this retort to rotation about?" Gimme some literary meaning."
Little Pamela. "Miss dat sound like wining to me. Like las year."
Excerpt 3." When soca play and dem gyal shake dey bumpa
Every man say dey activate de lumber"
Miss. "Children, please analyze dis, and no giggling please. Look for the subtle meaning."
Little Francis. "Miss  ah think dis is ah example of self explanatory. The singer  torking bout de man lumber.
Scratchy

Song
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bunji Garlin - Red Light District (lyrics)
Bunji Garlin - Red Light District
(Intro)
"Somebody give me a riddim to activate the waistline on the feminine gender now please
rrrr, Ha
Rotate dem spine
Dis time
Hey
(Chorus)
Aye feel like I’m in a red light district
Aye feel like I’m in a red light district
Aye ah when she flip and den she buss de split
Aye feel like I’m in a red light district
(Verse 1)
Ha, Well every man like a woman with skills
Take yuh cheque, big money and change them to singular bills
And when she talk to you with those hips
She make you wanna tip, tip, tip, tip, lawd is like a woman that strip, ha
When soca play and dem gyal shake dey bumpa
Every man say dey activate de lumber
Nuff man go sneak out, some try to reach out
Come backstage to get de phone number, rrrr
This gyal too sweet, she just too damn sweet
Jungle fever & suburban meet
Ah feel like I on Bourbon Street
She make me ball
(Chorus)
Aye feel like I’m in a red light district
Aye feel like I’m in a red light district
Aye ah when she flip and den she buss de split
Aye feel like I’m in a red light district
(Verse 2)
Ha, well any woman that could play de role
Vertical, horizontal once she could handle de pole
And every man like pattern and style
We love it when dey get wet, wet, wet"

Theodore Lewis 69

No comments: