Friday, September 25, 2009

RE: about "You won money" etc.(You can publish, or not)

2009-SEP-25-1740Hrs
Ramesh wrote that "since I put my name on the Mausica list I have been getting..."
I have been on the Mausica list three years, and have been getting those Nigeria-Phillipines-British Lottery-Government of Hong Kong scam letters since I got a computer. Every time you put your e-mail address on a warranty certificate for a PRODUCT YOU PURCHASE, EVERY TIME YOU ADD A SERVICE TO YOUR HOUSE, EVERY TIME YOU ORDER A PRODUCT ONLINE, YOU CAN BECOME A VICTIM OF WHAT THE GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA CALLS 419 SCHEMES. You are not vulnerable if you have no e-mail.
I get a significant amount of offers for penile extenders, notes from sexy looking women telling me what they would like to do to me(They think the L.E. Edwards is male), and offers from eHarmony and Christian Dating Services. I simply edit them all out without opening.
Those 419 scams are designed to catch the 2g's- the gullible and the greedy.Sometimes, I respond by telling them I co-operate with the Government of Nigeria in investigating internet fraud. The scamer then passes my address to a poor woman in the Phillipines whose husband died and left all this money that she needs to help get out.
My standard response for days when I am not busy" Madam; your country is so poor that it takes five years salary to afford one year of high school. If your husband was rich, he made the money from the poor. Why not use it to build a free secondary school?God will love you for it. I have no need of more money." This, is usually the end of Ms. Maria de Santa Rosa de something or other Pulaou. I then laugh, pour myself a glass of wine, and walk in my garden contemplating greed and gullibility.
Linda
Mausica Lecturer, 1967-69.
Linda Edwards

No comments: