Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS 2023-JAN-13

2023-JAN-13-1906Hrs

Haven forever.

Good to read what Rodney says here. I had gone two and a half years already at John Donaldson with nothing to show when I decided to switch to Mausica. Irma Cambridge lived next door to me in Marabella so I had heard a bit about the collegue....then there was La Porriden on Bob Gittens every morning.....Darnley Gittens' father.

As to remembrances during the first week I went out to play football  with the second years who were looking for first year "talent" among freshers to replenish the side. Went out with fellow freshers Nazir Khan, Dave Didier, Ho Sing Loy, Roy Jagroopsingh, Gregory Byrne, Kelvin Newton,. I think Hospy (Horatio Hospedales) came in late....but was a very good player.

Second year footballers in the mud included Efebo Wilkinson (Wilkee), Carlsbury Gonzales, Phillip Kendall, Frederick Beckles, Gerald Hernandez, Leslie Grenidge (Horse), Darnley Gittens, Joe Ragoonansingh, Dalton Taitt, Kent Rennie (Geezmo), Carl Caton,

They cut off my muff early in the week so I needed a trim at the weekend. Then somebody said to me "Scratchy we playing Saturday in Arima, and you on the side!

So I said well I have to skip dat because I have to go to Marabella so that Tanty Popo and Uncle Kyran could see dat ah ent dead, because they looked worried when they were leaving that Sunday evening, as dark clouds began to descend over the campus....as they were driven away leaving me behind.

Irma Clarke had a worrying sign that said "nobody died last year". I was disturbed by that sign.

Anyway, there was the fact that I needed a trim, because I had lost my muff to Fairhaven barbers during the first week.

Well the big men on the team say Scratchy you can't go home Saturday, you have to play. You on de side.  And furthermore , we carrying you to see the Joe about this.

Indeed that Friday afternoon at super, before the first week fete, they brought me before the Joe, and lodged their complaint that this is Scratchy, and he want to go home tomorrow, and we have a game.

The Joe looked at me with no pitty, and said well Scratchy you could get your trim in the morning and come back to the campus in time for the game..

I said OK sir.

The whole thing solved. I gone home to Marabella, Tanty Popo shocked to see my head. Went to the barber at Union Junction, then headed right back to sweet Mausica. Played that evening in Arima.

I hardly went home after that. Over the two years.

Scratchy.

Theodore Lewis 69


No comments: