Friday, November 05, 2021

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS 2021-NOV-05

2021-NOV-05-0837Hrs

Fair Haven Bomb Room? Hmmm!

I thought we had banned Grell Cup in Fair Haven...we forgot to put a time limit on it. So I am now finding out that men who came after participated in Grell Cup.

Back in my first year 67-68, De Warden put up a sign on the notice board outside of the assembly hall during Grell cup that said "Fair Haven-Campus Donkey."

Now I have to say that even here in 2021, I still feel quite hurt about that sign, which was really a gross disrespect of the GENTLEMEN of fairhaven, men like Geezmo (Kent Rennie),  Carlsbury, Rodney, Patrick Ali, Anthony Lum, Deodath Ojah Maharaj, Efeebo, Murrel, Miguel, Arthur Hume, Gaston Alleyne, Clyde Maurice, and my Second Year roomate Sto (Selwyn Bethelmy).

Respect to those no longer on this earth... Toco, Phillip Kendall, Oswald Thompson, Hospy, Martin Brathwaite.

So this "Campus Donkey" sign was left up on that board for the whole Grell Cup week.

But during that week Fairhaven fought back, through the fortitude of me and my roomate Sto. We issued an edict that Fairhaven men will NOT take further part in de Grell cup, and in fact that instead of a Bomb Room, we will have a La Basse room and  our room will be it.

We put a sign on the door inviting all to just throw their rubbish in our room, on the floor......we left the room open. And men obliged, emptying their trash....with cane peeling from their foraging of our cane field ...and everything else.

Bomb Room?

Down in the Villa Davis Charles had a Bomb Room. The man cheated, bring Chenille Bed spread from home to put on his bed in the Villa flat, where he was hostel Rep. You go down to de Villa to see this thing and you fraid to enter that room  it so clean and antiseptic. Flowers and ting.

The Warden and his team came down to inspect rooms in Haven, and we left our room open....and I would have given money to hear the Warden react when they went in to "inspect".

The next year, 68, I sang "No Grell Cup" in the calypso contest....came in third..dey tief me....

"Who start up dis Grell Cup business

Nobody eh know

Some Say is de Bald head Warden

Some say is Harry Joe

Whoever it is, dat eh worrying me

Just Tell dem I say

No Grell cup for Lord Scratchie.

I am disheartened to see that men in Fairhaven fell back into de Grell cup to the point of having bomb room.

But I understand. A Fairhaven man beats his own drum, and nobody cant tell him what to do.

Lord Scratchie (Calypso king third place 1968).

Theodore Lewis 69


No comments: