Tuesday, January 01, 2019

RE: Ms Evelyn Hordatt

2019-JAN-01-1454Hrs
Dearest Errol,
A very Happy New Year to you and to all my fellow Mausicans. I wish you all,  every good and perfect gift that comes from our Heavenly Father above. Thanks again Errol for all that you do for our Mausican family.
I recently became aware that there will be a thanksgiving service for Ms. Evelyn Hordatt, on 04 January 2019, in celebration of her hundredth birthday. I do not have all the details, but I thought that I should share this short piece I wrote about her, based on my personal memories, in 2013 when we  hoped to publish a history of Mausica Teachers' College.
I attach it.
Many blessings,
much love,
joy!!!
"Ms. Evelyn Hordatt
I cannot think of anyone meeting this lovely lady for the first time and not having warm feelings towards her. Her petite size, her welcoming smile, her energetic personality all give testimony to the gentle and compassionate soul that she is. We all loved Miss Evelyn Hordatt and very quickly we made her family. Even some of the males on campus referred to her as “Auntie”, in our conversations about her; they still do.
I remember choosing her as confidant when I suffered the confusion characteristic of “Separation Syndrome” when I first entered Mausica. I spoke. She listened attentively. She understood. Compassion was what I felt and I was able to move on. Years later, I discovered that she has shared her gift of compassion with numerous others who like me choose her as confidant.
Ms Hordatt was our “Infant Methods” tutor. We now refer to it as Early Childhood Educator. After our Teaching Practice sessions, we would recount tales of our experiences to her.  One of the tales that has been told a number of times is one in which my fellow Mausican had very firmly and very loudly put out a disruptive student who had been loitering in the classroom during the recess period. Ms Hordatt was shocked to hear of the method used. She looked sweetly at the teacher trainee and calling her by name she gently said, “Now, how much better it would have been if you had put a surprised look on your face and asked, ‘Are we supposed to be here?’”
My fellow Mausican did not give in; she replied in a tone filled with indignation, “Miss Hordatt, I know them children and no amount of ‘Are we supposed to be here?’ not getting them to leave any classroom.” We all laughed at the dramatic way in which this was done. Miss Hordatt laughed with us and gently told her after the laughter had subsided, “At least you would have tried.”
I also remember another teacher trainee relating how she had remembered Miss Hordatt’s advice when one of her young charges started using obscene language in the classroom. She had used the surprised look and had gently told the child, “You shouldn’t be using words like those, do you hear Mummy using words like those?”
The student promptly replied, “Yes Miss, my mummy does cuss plenty.” Miss, however, was well prepared and quietly asked, “Do you hear Miss using words like that?” The student got quiet and hung her head. “Well,” said the teacher, do like Miss and don’t use those words.
I know that Miss Hordatt has made a valuable contribution to the Girl Guides’ Association at a national level in our country. When my daughters were children and attended national Girl Guides’ and Brownies’ activities, I would often see her there. The last time I saw her was at Holy Saviour’s Anglican Church where she is a member and one known for living her faith. She was also known for her steadfastness in praying for young people at the church. Miss Hordatt had just celebrated her ninetieth birthday. I was delighted to see this charming lady. She greeted me as warmly as ever, smiling and happy to see me and to hear that we had shared the Mausica experience.
Joy A, Valdez"
Joy Valdez 74

No comments: