Friday, January 30, 2009

Re: MAUSICA WEEKLY EMAILS‏
2009-Jan-30-1033hrs
Errol and Other Mausicans,friends, It is unlikely that I would make Grenada. Too many inroads into my small accounts lately, and I promised friends in Malawi that I would visit in 2010, God's willing , this egg basket is overloaded.
I was talking with Rodney Foster recently, and he said he had not seen my request/suggestion that each registrant take a book on education (Or just a book that a child or teacher could use) to Grenada, to make a collective donation to the people of the country, and so, I repeat it here. Those who are still associated with schools and colleges, particularly those coming from N. America and Europe could easily get a book. Our bookrooms at work are full of samples from publishers. Those coming from the Caribbean may find it a little harder, but through friends in the US, they could get one in their name. Of course the new airline rules may seem to make it difficult, it's one checked bag per person, if you are going economy.Anyone flying first class could carry a suitcase full of books.
Nonetheless, books are so important, and would not be replaced by computers, except if every one of us had computerized books in every room in the house, including the bathrooms, able to open on command to our favorite, best loved passages. I feel that taking a book to put into the hands of a teacher or a child is a significant gesture of hope and renewal.
I have faith others would take this and run with it. If Merle Howe comes, I will give her a book to donate from me. I see in my mind's eye, and entire pile of books being handed over by the planners of the festivities- a bigger gesture than a check. Each donor can sign his/her donation.
Love to all
Linda Edwards Romain(oficially dropped the Romain in 1988, but passport people insist)

No comments: