Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Re: Dudley Dickson
2007-Apr-05-2148hrs
Today, 28th March, 2007, is exactly three months since the passing of my wife of 45 years. Today, 28th March, 2007 is the day that I am writing this memorial to celebrate the life of my dear friend of 44 years, Dudley Michael “Tola” Dickson. I have been fortunate to have been shown the nuances of the word love, from these two magnificent personalities, to whom I shall be eternally thankful for a condition which has had a positive impact on my living.

I first met Dudley on Monday 13th September, 1963 “on campus” at Mausica Teachers’ College. A busy-body, true man-for-all- seasons. Energetic, organizational, empathetic and self-less, focused on results through ole talk and that infectious laugh to make the task doable. Dudley assisted in forging the network which laid the foundation for the successful installation of the pioneers. He operationalised the students into work groups in the day – kitchen and residential halls – and at nights, in true Buddy Lindo style, with cuatro in hand he would lead the primitive Mausica choir in singing and other performing arts. Undoubtedly, this role conditioned Dudley for his outstanding contribution to the Mausica Choral Society. Off campus, at sporting, cultural, debating and other socially enhancing events, Dudley was an effusive cheer-leader which endeared him to the Academic, Administrative and Hospitality staffs and his student colleagues. Dudley became my “on campus” barber, and I supplied him his week-end fare of home prepared goodies from my wife’s kitchen.

Upon graduating from Stout State, Dudley resided in the Bronx, N.Y. and accommodated me there on my first visit to N.Y. I spent five days at Dudley’s on my outward journey back to T&T after a study period in DC and Penn State. We had a hearty laugh when I thanked him for giving me the experience of living in a steam laundry through his house heating system. To Dudley, this was no big thing, he was simply overwhelmed to accommodate his friend. Dudley distilled his friendship by calling me from his bed of affliction to offer words for healing at my wife’s demise, two days before her internment. His voice discernably weakened by the ravages of pain and suffering, but undiminished in its capacity for caring and sincere fellowship.

A member of the queue in the departure lounge has gone through the glass door, leaving the rest of us in the waving gallery peering through the glass. At a time, quietly saying our goodbyes. At another, looking at the shrinking queue-line and pondering, who’s next? Is it I --- to fly?

Good-bye my friend, it is worth to have earned your friendship. Free at last, God has called you to another place for rest and peace.

To Myrtle and Asante, be assured that Dudley lived a rich and exemplary life. Consider that he is free at last. Be strong and let the process of healing proceed.

Love you lots.

Eugene “Killer” St.Hilaire

No comments: