Friday, March 10, 2023

RE: MAUSICA

2023-MAR-09-2133Hrs

My Fellow Mausicans,

"In all circumstances , give thanks."

Clive Gregory Grell was a model Mausican. He was a well- rounded graduate  of Mausica Teachers College who served his community.

I first met Clive when I entered Mausica in 1966. I believe I was the last male student to arrive at MTC on a Thursday morning, weeks after the classes had started in 1966. I roomed with Leroy Cox in Sunset Villa. Clive was on the second floor.

One Friday evening, either Ms Sharon Pouchet, the English Literature lecturer or Ms. Vargas, the Canadian Lbrarian, dropped us off opposite the Solo Factory on Don Miguel Road.

Clive and I walked the winding Don Miguel Road to Jogie Road then made a left turn on Twelfth Street.  At   # 24, we entered the yard where my mother lived.

In two-twos, my mother fixed us a meal: vienna sausages fried up with plenty tomatoes and onions, hops bread and orange juice.

Clive and I bonded that evening. In 2012, Clive and Mary, with less than twenty-four hours notice, prepared the repast when my mother died. The food was excellent.

Clive was meh pardnah and Mary was meh sister. His brother,

Bersie, Toyo, became my brother too. Bersie introduced me to Bunny Dupigny who worked at Howard University. Bunny visited my sister, Doreen and Vernon Fingal, in Maracas Gardens, St Joseph. Next thing yuh know is meh nephew, Brent Fingal , attending Howard. Today, Brent is a Civil Engineer.

As Lord Nelson say , "All ah we is one family".

Everybody loved Clive.

By de way , Efebo reminded meh dat one evening Clive break ah ankle while playing basketball. Dey preparin tuh take him some food and drinks in de hostel.  Clive  appear  out ah de blue in de auditorium. " Allyuh tink ah go miss dis fete."

Rest in peace my dear friend and pardnah.

As usual,

Rodney Foster 66-68


No comments: