Tuesday, February 04, 2020

RE: Mausica Calypsoes

2020-FEB-03-1738Hrs
I make no apologies when I say that some of the present day Calypsoes pale in comparison to Mausica Calypsoes. We had some of the most creative compositions you could ever imagine. I could obviously only speak for the period '67 - '69 but I am certain that we were not unique in this regard. Apart from 'Lady Watchekong' (yours truly), there was Lord Scratchie (I think that was his sobriquet), Agnes Howell, Hazel Thompson, Shirley Hyacinth - forgive me if I only remember some names in  my year group. There was a plethora of females. Maybe Scratchie and some of the men can help me out with more names.
What was really great was the double entendre in many of the Calypsoes. 'Walk with yuh key' (also by Yours Truly) referring to some who lost  their key in singing and at the same time reminding inmates of the various hostels, to guard against returning to their rooms after supper or a lime, to find they were locked out. Of course you could not escape smut which added to the enjoyment. The one I remember well, was composed by Agnes Howell - 'The soap gone up.' One meaning had to do with the rise in the price of toilet soap. I  will leave the other meaning to your imagination.
What a pity the Calypsoes were not documented by the authorities. As a singer myself I never thought of posterity. I just wanted to get  it over and done with while getting a teeny bit of enjoyment in the process.
I close with the 1st verse and chorus of 'De puddin' tumble dong.' The verse is slow and deliberate while the chorus picks up in speed.
'Right in front of de Joe and de whole big show,
Dis ting happened dat night it was such a  blow;
I was there and I saw, and nobody could say
Dat it never occurred on dat fateful day,
CHORUS:
An' de puddin' tumble dong
while de Joe was speaking,
An' de puddin' tumble dong and halt de proceedings:
Yes de puddin' tumble dong
While de Joe was speaking,
An' de puddin' tumble dong
No proof in de eating.'
Pearl Yvonne Mulrain 69

No comments: